Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Ever Wonder Why This Music Gets You High...It Must Be Pop!

Today, October 6, 2009 is ear bliss day for me. My mind is in musical heaven as I type this. My Mac-y and Bose are bummin'. The new Blake Lewis CD came out today and *shriek circa 1999* THE BACKSTREET BOYS!!! What? Did you just laugh? *Virtual Slap* I would like to know why pop music is often so disrespected.

You know who you are, you music elitists (that's what I call you). Side note: I actually don't foresee music elitists surfing my Elle Wood-sy blog. So dear readers, I'm not pointing my yous in the proceeding paragraph at you. I love you for your presumed appreciation for hand bumping beats and boy-band-silky harmonies. I'm just letting out some frustration that has been building up for a few years in music industry classes.


Music elitists *Finger Point*, you think you're so intellectual with your non-mainstream music tastes. You "know real music." Music needs to pull out deep emotions from your dark insides. It's serious. It doesn't make you smile. (For the record, I think music should evoke an array of emotions.) You think the names on the radio are all sell-outs. Once music gets pumping through the airwaves, it's not legit anymore. You think signing with a major label and getting you're name out to the masses means losing your soul and surrendering all musical creativity. You never think maybe the artist actually likes pop music and wants to surround themselves with the best producers and songwriters to further improve their craft. No, never. People who like pop have no originality or depth...at least not when it comes to music.

I think they should all shut up! The only time I would judge someone based on music taste is if they didn't have any passion for music.

Now, for all my peeps out there who appreciate a sweet vocal, a steering-wheel-drumming beat and a song that makes you, without a care, roll down the windows and sing your lungs out, even when stopped at a red-light, I've got some songs for you!


If it weren't for the boy band stigma against these "comeback kids," "The Block" could have been male equivilant of Lady Gaga's "The Fame." The producer of all of Gaga's hits, RedOne, produced 7 tracks on the New Kids on the Block's 2008 album.


My Mac-y might be tired of playing Jesse McCartney's new single "Body Language" since it's my most played song in iTunes library currently, but my ears aren't tired of it at all. I've been listening to it for six months and when it comes on the radio, I still crank the volume and "hand dance" ('cause that's what I do). Be prepared to be hearing a lot of this one. It was last week's most added song to Top 40 radio.


If the Backstreet Boys latest single "Straight Through My Heart" doesn't start getting more rotation on radio, it'll be a shame. It's one of the most pulsating pop songs I've ever heard. "Bye Bye Love" is BSB's next most single-worthy track of their latest album "This Is Us."


Seriously, who doesn't love Michael Buble'? I love him, my dad loves him, my grandma loves him. If you don't follow him or listen to adult contemporary radio, you might miss this classic feel-good pop song.

I could give recommendations all day, but I'm going to let you relish in that series of pop greatness for a while. I'll be back with more endorphin-releasing tunes in a few days.
Until next time, stay music-stigma free!
xoxo *heart* *heart* :) Cosmo Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment