Wednesday, November 11, 2009

New Kids on the Block Had A Bunch Of Hits, Chinese Food Makes Me Sick

I was in my media law class today picking at my nails, holding my J.O.N.A.S. pen between my fingers, nothing out of the ordinary. Then BAM! The next slide up on the screen is New Kids on the Block vs. News America Publishing. I almost choked on my pumpkin flavored coffee and my face contorted severely out of joyful shock. My professor called me out on it. I just said, "I love them." I figured it wasn't the right place to burst, "Donnie's like my uncle, and Jordan totally creeps on me (but I don't mind *wink*), and Joey's full of advise...and and and *sigh* they're my friends and no one knows how to make my heart burst or my smile so wide and permanent quite like my NKOTB boys." But then again, I was forced to respond with the standard, impersonal, "I love them."

*Sitting on my bed pondering how I'm going to describe the indescribable feeling that is New Kids*
It all started five years ago with those famous 1988 music notes "Oh Oh Oh Oh, Oh Oh Oh Oh." Little Blond Cosmo (my sista) and I had that infectious tune replaying in our heads thanks to VH1's "Band's Reunited" commercials. Long story short, one song turned into iTunes's whole NKOTB stock. You know how they say time machines don't exist? They actually do. We invented it. We were emerced in a happy boy band land that ended 12 years earlier, equipped with oversized t-shirts, hella-big fan-girl buttons, and lots of scream-inducing pelvic thrusts. Blondie and I were completely cut off from all people living in present fall of 2004. I'm pretty sure Mom didn't want to be associated with us in public when we wore our favorite fashion staple, the acid wash NKOTB jean jacket with a huge neon scrunchy.

Blondie liked the pierced-nose, rat tail wearing bad boy who made out with fans from the stage, Donnie Wahlberg. You might also know him as the guy "Who's afraid when he's alone" from The Sixth Sense. And, NO, he's not Johnny Drama!!! Back on topic, I liked the the Vampire-esque Ken doll frontman with hair to rival JFK Jr.'s, Jordan Knight. We would go to dinner with friends, our Donnie and Jordan purses made from NKOTB bed sheets draped around our shoulders, and want to go home ASAP. That's where the time machine primarily resided. Time machine=some sort of combination between NKOTB Dolls+VCR+Old VHS Tapes+Fireplace+NKOTB sleeping bag...BTWs I was 16 and really mature, ya know.

Phases fade, but we'll never forget the warm, snuggly fall we spent with Joey, Donnie, Jordan, Jon, and Danny through a TV screen and our minds. We reluctantly accepted the fact the five of them would never exist in actual reality as the New Kids on the Block again. (Our time machine was getting faulty :/)

...Until the announcement in Spring 2008 that they were reuniting!!!! If only Cosmo circa 2004 could have seen what Cosmo in the fall of 2008 would experience! This past year would mean nine concerts, an album that will forever be a
classic in the Billboard section of my mind, and crew passes aka all access. I'm not Perez Hilton.
I'm not here to gossip. (Ey yo Perez-y, LEAVE JON KNIGHT ALONE! *Chris Crocker Style*) There's nothing to gossip about except these guys deserve every ounce of love and success they've ever received.
I've met enough celebrities to tell you, no one treats their fans as well as NKOTB. It goes far beyond Donnie's kisses for everyone. The warmth we felt five years ago was legit.

My point in writing this blog: 1) Thank God, Even Crazy Dreams Come True! (Thanks to Carrie Underwood for the quote) 2) To promote a band who too often gets written off as some cheesy, has-been boy band, when in reality should have won the Grammy for Best Pop Album last year. The Pussycat Dolls, Lady Gaga, Akon, and NeYo all knew what they were doing collaborating with the Kids on the September 2008 release "The Block."

Why talk "The Block" when you can listen to it? I've talked enough tonight and far more seriously than I have in the past. Got all mushy and sentimental. In the words of DDub, "Positivity is not about being soft, it's about being smart...you suckkkkaaassss!!!!" Take that as...LISTEN TO THE FREAKING YOUTUBE VIDEOS FUTURE BLOCKHEADS!


I'm re-posting this from last month's pop music blog. No one doesn't like this song. You think "Party in the USA" puts your hands up? Psh.


In the words of Randy Jackson, "WE GOT A HOT ONE HERE!!!!" Seriously, what has RedOne (the industry's most sought after producer right now) cranked out that wasn't hot?


Play it in NYC's 1Oak. Play it at your trashy frat party. It's mind blowing everywhere.


This is for you R&B peeps out there. The New Kids are stunting my humor. This is serious shiznet here. Great stuff.

The Rest of the Best:
I'm assuming you've heard "Summertime", being you were probably alive last summer. You may or may not have heard their sweet second single "Single" (haha) with NeYo. You probably didn't hear their third single unfortunately "2 In The Morning". It might take a few listens to develop a great appreciation, but it's one of the strongest tracks on the album along with being the most meaningful lyrically. For the Lady Gaga fans in the crowd, we've got "Big Girl Now". And if you're feeling a little bit Twisted. Tell me how you like the songs!

"Jon Knight's a frickin pimp y'all!"
xoxo *heart* *heart* :) Cosmo Woods

1 comment:

  1. I somehow missed to NKOTB the first time around...Idk where I was or I was liking...maybe I know some of their songs and didn't realize it was them Idk...but I do like "summertime" it was on my summer playlist that summer!

    ReplyDelete